Stephanie

I am an Indonesian and I have stayed in Singapore for the past 10 years. In the years that I have stayed, I feel that I have yet to get accustomed to the culture here and understanding of the history of Singapore. I am fortunate to have this module that allows me to have a deeper knowledge on Singapore’s history that were not covered during my Pre University education.

When we were given the task of going to Joo Chiat and Katong area, I was very much excited and thrilled. Although I have heard much about its rich history and heritage, I have never personally explored the area. I was really enthusiastic about going there, not just to find good food around, but also to know more about the history of the area.

Joo Chiat and Katong area is a relatively huge area and interestingly, although they have a number of heritage places and buildings, they look pretty modernized. Walking around the area made me feel as though I was in two different eras. At one moment, I can see contemporary buildings and at another moment, I can see the olden buildings. How interesting! I am amazed that our government has put in so much effort to preserve the historical buildings to enhance our culture and heritage. It is amazing to find the olden buildings in the 21st Century preserved well by converting them into shophouses.

As we walked along the road, we saw many Peranakan houses that are very attractive in colours. Its Peranakan houses have motifs not only depicting the Chinese and Malay cultures but also European influences which shows the different culture of people that were living around the area. Furthermore, I personally feel that the area has a rich Peranakan culture in terms of food too. We found many delicious food along the trail, such as Tua Kua Pau, the famous Katong Laksa and Chin Mee Chin Confectionery.

My perception of Singapore is of a place that is rich in history and culture heritage. I appreciate the government’s effort (especially the Urban Redevelopment Authority) in painstakingly to preserve and conserve some of the historical and cultural heritage around Singapore. My experience in the trail has not changed much of my perception of Singapore history and its heritage. However, this trail has helped me deepened my knowledge of the current historical sites and the increased my understanding of Singapore’s history of the different areas that I have not visited during my stay here.

By looking at Joo Chiat and Katong area, I find that Singapore has been rather successful in trying to preserve our heritage (taking into consideration Singapore’s rapid increase in population and modernization) for the younger generations to come. However, due to the different lifestyle that we are having now, these historical heritages, especially the conserved commercial shophouses seem to lose their individual uniqueness. It is definitely a commendable effort and I sincerely hope that Singaporeans are able to appreciate the historical sites that they have and take pride in the country’s heritage.

As for myself, I would not hesitate to bring my family and relatives to Joo Chiat and Katong area and share with them the history of this particular area of Singapore. Furthermore, the area is also a place for us to try Peranakan food, which I heard is yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment