Deborah

I will be the first to admit that I was not too thrilled at the prospect of going on a heritage trail around an area that I have lived at for nearly six years. I thought that there was little or no history to discover since I would have known if there was any, but boy, was I dead wrong.

This trail has opened my eyes to tiny details that I have missed out before, and for that, I am grateful. Where I used to walk past an area without a second glance, I am now able to appreciate the rich culture and history that I have been surrounded with all along. Single-storey conserved terrace houses along East Coast Road with such unique architecture, the intricately crafted designs of Peranakan and European influences on the shophouses along Koon Seng Road, among others. It was indeed refreshing to find out something new about an area I thought I knew at my fingertips.

While there was the conservation of certain heritage sites, others are no longer standing and instead replaced by entirely new landmarks. For example, the Joo Chiat Community Club, which used to be a humble wooden hut has since been extensively renovated. However, in the face of urban redevelopment, the demolishing of certain heritage sites was inevitable.

I would say the based on the Katong/Joo Chiat heritage trail, I would consider Singapore to be successful in the conservation and commercial reuse of her historical heritage. In terms of food, the famous Katong Laksa has been retained. Upon surveying various shops such as Kim Choo and Rumah Bebe, we are able to see the preservation of activities such beading as well as other Peranakan arts and crafts in a joint store and museum setting. Hence, apart from the demolishment of certain historical buildings to pave the way for Singapore’s advancement, I feel that the present conserved historical sites sufficiently represent a past that future generations can appreciate.

No comments:

Post a Comment